Felicity Gerry QC is an international QC with chambers in London, Leeds and Australia. She was Legal Personality of the Year for 2016 and has been recognised in the Legal 500 as “well respected for national and international appellate issues” and “Fearless and independent minded” and in Chambers and Partners as “a vastly experienced advocate noted for her experience in serious sexual cases, homicides and frauds”. She led the appeal that corrected the law on joint enterprise in the UK Supreme Court, described by the BBC as a ‘moment of genuine legal history’ and had appeals on the same subject in Australia and Hong Kong. She works commercially and pro bono, including assisting on death penalty cases.
Felicity has appeared in the BAFTA nominated FGM documentary The Cruel Cut and ABC Foreign Correspondent’s documentary Saving Mary Jane and BBC 3 Series ‘Sex on the Edge’ and on all major news channels including ABC, BBC News, Sky News, Russia Today and Al Jazeera.
Felicity is an Adjunct Fellow at the University of Western Sydney where she recently taught Independent Study on Terrorism, Cybercrime and Sexual Offending. She is also a Senior Lecturer in the School of Law at Charles Darwin University where she researches issues relating to women & law, technology & law and reforming justice systems. She lectures in Transnational Law, Criminal Law, Science & Law and ‘Law, Justice and the State’ and leads an Indigenous Justice and Exoneration Project.
She is one of the foremost legal experts which broadcasters go to for media commentary and presentation of international legal issues.
Felicity speaking at the Oxford Union debate on Anonymity
FELICITY GERRY QC has recently published in Human Trafficking: Emerging Legal Issues and Applications. She is Co-Author of The Sexual Offences Handbook (now in its second edition) and has forthcoming chapter in European Integration and Democracy Series, devoted to transatlantic data privacy relations as a challenge for democracy. Her co-authored report on Women in Prison: Is the Justice System Fit For Purpose? was described as ‘the most important report since Corston’. She is on the Management Committee of The Advocate’s Gateway which produces toolkits for advocacy with vulnerable people. She has a particular expertise in issues relating to vulnerable witnesses and suspects and recently provided her advocacy expertise to an MDAC project providing training to lawyers across all 28 Member States of the EU on the rights of children with mental disabilities. Her Chapter on vulnerable witnesses and parties in civil proceedings in Addressing Vulnerability in Justice Systems (published 2016) was described as “such a broadly comprehensive chapter on the subject of vulnerability within the legal system that it could stand as a practitioners’ potted guide in itself.
Felicity can be contacted here.
Human Trafficking: Emerging Legal Issues and Applications book out now
Order your copy here.
- Labor Trafficking: The Garcia Case and Beyond (Gonzalo Martinez de Vedia)
- Human Trafficking in the Drug Trade: Lessons for Attorneys from the Mary Jane Veloso Case (Felicity Gerry, QC)
- The New York Approach: A Lawyer’s Guide to Human Trafficking Intervention Courts (Nicole Campion)
- Human Trafficking and Exploitation in Australia (Fiona McLeod, SC)
- Using Digital Technologies to Combat Human Trafficking: Privacy Implications (Felicity Gerry QC, Julia Muraszkiewicz, LL.M., and Niovi Vavoula, LL.M.)
- Human Trafficking in the Dark: Sex Trafficking on the Dark Web (Bryanne Perlanski)
- Using the New Social Influence Model (SIM) to Pursue Justice for Trafficking Victims (Nora M. Cronin and Alan W. Scheflin)
- Trauma In Sex-Trafficked Children (Melissa L. Breger)
- The Human Rights Argument in Human Trafficking: Duty to Identify Victims (Julia Muraszkiewicz)
- Gender Issues in Human Trafficking: Empowering Women and Girls Through Awareness and Law (Felicity Gerry QC and Catarina Sjölin, LL.M.)
- Human Trafficking and Cults (Robin Boyle Laisure)
At Halsbury Law Exchange’s ‘Think Tank’ event – our paper was described as “the most important report since Corston”
Read it here.
You can view all of Felicity’s Newsletters below.