Felicity has been involved in the push to eradicate FGM since 2010. She lectures on Female Genital Mutilation and law in both CDU School of Law and CDU School of Health and is currently researching global responses to female genital mutilation.
To watch her 2014 video on crime prevention and FGM click here
Her experience in this field of law is set out here:
- In 2010, Dedicated Chapter in The Sexual Offences Handbook on FGM – raised issue of application of sexual offences protection orders with UK CPS
- In 2012 Felicity Gerry QC wrote the ground breaking article in The Guardian “Female Genital Mutilation: Time for a prosecution” following a successful presentation to CPS lawyers and other professionals on how the law in relation to FGM could be enforced.
- In 2013 Felicity appeared on a panel after the launch of the Integrate Bristol FGM play “My Normal Life”
- In 2013 Felicity appeared in the BAFTA nominated FGM documentary “The Cruel Cut” on UK channel 4,
- In 2013 Felicity gave guidance on statutory interpretation in relation to an FGM case in the Asia Pacific Region.
- In 2014 Felicity opened the Darwin premiere of the Honour Diaries Movie. See the CNN feature on the Honor Diaries here
- In 2014 Felicity published a joint article in The Guardian with Dexter Dias QC and Hilary Burrage 10 ways why FGM law has failed and 10 ways to improve FGM law
- In 2014 Felicity published a peer reviewed article in the Griffith Journal of law and human dignity special edition on women and violence: “Let’s talk about Vaginas: Female Genital Mutilation, the failure of international obligations and how to end an abusive tradition”.
- 2014 Felicity was a member of the working party for the UK Bar Human Rights Committee which prepared & submitted the influential report on FGM to the UK Government Home Affairs Committee – several of the recommendations have been accepted and now proposed by the British Government.
- May 2014 teaching masters students at De La Salle University in Manila on women’s health and the law including FGM and Abortion
- September 2014 FGM video presentation to Midwifery Society conference at Huddersfield University.
- November 2014 Annual Bar Conference in London – 8th of November 2014. Association of Women barristers presentation: “Achieving Excellence in FGM Cases” Felicity on the panel together with Comfort Momoh and the DPP.
- March 2015 Felicity published an article ‘Vaginal piercings have always been FGM’ for the Halsbury’s Law Exchange.
- April 2015 Collaborative grant for a project with Menzies School of Health on women’s health and the law with a focus on FGM, Abortion and teenage pregnancy. Resulted in FGM being added to both health and law curricula.
- July 2015 Presented FGM and the law to the Law Society of South Australia and various meetings with politicians organised by NoFGMAustralia. Read the presentation and handout – SA FGM event and NoFGM Oz Handout
- September 2015 member of FGM keynote panel Damned Whores and God’s Police 40 Years On Conference http://www.annesummers.com.au/conversations/damned-whores-and-gods-police-40-years-on-conference/
- September 2015 Felicity published a podcast through CPDcast.com with Neelam Sarkaria on FGM.
Felicity writes joint article for the Guardian on 10 reasons why our FGM law has failed – and 10 ways to improve it
February 6 was International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). Felicity wrote an article for the Guardian and appeared on ABC Darwin (see below) to discuss this topic. Read Felicity’s article here.
Felicity speaks to Vicki Kerrigan on ABC Darwin, advocating the prevention of Female Genital Mutilation
You can listen here to Felicity talk about why we all need to be aware of this practice.
Read Vicki Kerrigan’s FGM blog post here
Felicity appears on Channel 4 documentary: The Cruel Cut
Felicity Gerry appeared in The Cruel Cut on Channel 4 at 10.45pm on Wednesday 6th November as part of the campaign to end the practice of female genital mutilation.